Fort St Elmo – Casemates Area

Fort St. Elmo occupies a strategic position at the tip of the Sceberras peninsula. During the Medieval period, this strategic position was already recognised and exploited. Reference to a permanent watch-post at Santo Eramo can in fact be found in the Militia Roster of 1417. Following a harsh Ottoman razzia in 1551, and various reports indicating a looming Ottaman siege, Grand Master De Homedes issued an order for the immediate erection of a fort. A star-shaped fort was constructed in circa 6 months, by military engineer Pietro Pardo, under the supervision of Knight Fra Leone Strozzi. By 1565 the fort acquired a cavalier, a covertway, a terraille, and a ravelin which was hastily built only a few months before the Great Siege of 1565. Fort St. Elmo also played an important role during World War II.
Casemates Area
An area fronted bu the imposing Porta del Soccorso and the majestic bastions of Fort St. Elmo, which daunt on the barrel vaulted casemates overlooking the mount of the Grand Harbour
Download Brochure


Standing2000Seated800