Fort St Elmo – West Terrace

Fort St. Elmo occupies a strategic position at the tip of the Sceberras peninsula. During the Medieval period, this strategic position was already recognised and exploited. Reference to a permanent watch-post at Santo Eramo can in fact be found in the Militia Roster of 1417. Following a harsh Ottoman razzia in 1551, and various reports indicating a looming Ottaman siege, Grand Master De Homedes issued an order for the immediate erection of a fort. A star-shaped fort was constructed in circa 6 months, by military engineer Pietro Pardo, under the supervision of Knight Fra Leone Strozzi. By 1565 the fort acquired a cavalier, a covertway, a terraille, and a ravelin which was hastily built only a few months before the Great Siege of 1565. Fort St. Elmo also played an important role during World War II.
West Terrace
A strategic area enjoying spectacular views overlooking the Valletta peninsula and Marsamxett harbour

Download Brochure

Standing2000Seated800