Between October 2019 and February 2020, Heritage Malta, with the assistance of the Cleansing and Maintenance Division, undertook extensive cleansing of the historical site of Fort Delimara in Marsaxlokk. A considerable number of bulky refuse that included metal, wood, plastic and general trash were removed. Whilst this clean up ensured the safeguarding of the original elements of the fort, it also served to enhance its general appearance and to facilitate guided tours.
After the military ceased the utilisation of Fort Delimara in 1964, the structure suffered a long state of abandonment and inadequate use. This led to the severe piling of rubbish. Since 2005, Fort Delimara is under the responsibility of Heritage Malta. During such time the Fort has witnessed slow but steady improvements.
Fort Delimara is a classic example of a Victorian coastal fortification built by the Royal Engineers between 1876 and 1878 to defend the approaches to Marsaxlokk Harbour. Besides several examples of contemporary military architecture, the fort still houses four of the original six, 38-ton 12.5-inch Rifled Muzzle Loading guns which are the last surviving examples in the world, still on their carriages in their original casemate emplacements.