Inquisitors' Coat of Arms

Occupying an entire block along Birgu’s main thoroughfare, the Inquisitor’s Palace is one of Malta’s most intriguing monuments. Its Classical Baroque facades enclose a labyrinthine compound that was moulded over a period of some 500 years and is the net sum of a long list of structural interventions to accommodate the ever-changing needs of the successive inquilines, particularly the 61 prelates who served as inquisitors and apostolic delegates to Malta between 1575 and 1798. Their coat of arms are painted on the walls of the piano nobile’s main hall, and apart from showing their Italian roots, shed light on their notable careers after leaving the island.

0
X